So a client brought me a BX-20 – the largest of the AKG BX series spring reverbs. I have always loved the BX-10 and was interested to work on the big daddy. The amplifier cards were partially recapped, so I completed the job. I even replaced the tantalum caps on the preamp daughterboards because they were getting leaky. With a little adjustment the boards now sounded good but one side of the reverb was spitting out random noises. After chasing ghosts for a while, I determined that the problem was in the spring assembly and proceeded to take it out and open it up. It was measuring like there was a broken wire or burned out coil. I was hoping for the wire, but unfortunately one of the tiny red coil windings that hangs in the magnet gap had gone open. There are no replacements for these so for now it will be a mono reverb!